The PLANED Principle
Working with communities, delivering for Pembrokeshire, Wales and Europe.
PLANED is committed to supporting communiites to improve their quality of life by focusing on their opportuities, harnessing potential and helping them to achieve their aspirations.
- PLANED’s approach is based on the development of a collective vision at community level.
- PLANED works with communities to identify their priorities without imposing judgement on what those priorities should be.
- PLANED supports communities to do things for themselves.
- PLANED promotes dialogue between all stakeholders and seeks to broker working relationships and overcome barriers.
- PLANED promotes innovation and seeks to provide a mechanism for sharing new ideas.
- PLANED’s outcomes and those for communities are informed and well-founded
Strategic Areas of Focus
- Community Participation, Representation and Wellbeing
- Skills and Entrepreneurship
- Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Nature, Heritage, Culture and Tourism
Now in our 30th year, PLANED‘s team has a wealth of experience working with, and for the benefit of, communities that we can use to help you.
PLANED is a community-led partnership established as a social enterprise, a Development Trust, a charity, and a company limited by guarantee, with its Board members being representatives from communities and from the public and private sectors.
PLANED has 30 years’ experience of implementing integrated rural development through supporting enterprise, sustainable agriculture and tourism, heritage and environmental activities, through community engagement and participation.
PLANED encourages a community culture of enterprise supporting people to harness their skills, knowledge and enthusiasm –to safeguard their future. This is achieved through delivering locally tailored initiatives, which build on existing community strengths and empower local people, while ensuring effort in one area of development adds value to other areas.
PLANED is an organisation that works with geographic communities and communities of interest to identify, develop and implement sustainable projects that improve the wellbeing of the community with a focus on long-term, integrated, collaborative actions.
PLANED has evolved over time, and has a long and proud history of rural regeneration and support for community-led development. In 1986, a group of volunteers who had worked successfully together to save an important building in Narberth for community use formed the Taf and Cleddau Rural Initiative (TCRI).
Working within the then Welsh Development Agency’s Rural Programme, the organisation was able to pioneer community–based regeneration. In 1991 TCRI was one of the 137 groups the European Union selected to pilot the LEADER programme. The fundamental principles of LEADER is a bottom up and integrated approach to community-led local development, utilising innovative techniques, pioneering market testing and piloting, and partnership with others.
Read more about our journey here.